New from the Money Scoop

FDIC- Is your money safe?

What Is the FDIC?

The FDIC – short for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation – is an independent agency of the United States government. The FDIC protects you against the loss of your deposits if an FDIC-insured bank or savings association fails. FDIC insurance is backed by the full faith and credit of the United States government. The term “insured bank” is used in this brochure to mean any bank or savings association with FDIC insurance.

To check whether your bank or savings association is insured by FDIC, call toll-free 1-877-275-3342, use "Bank Find" at, or look for the official FDIC sign where deposits are received.

FDIC Official Teller Sign

Generally, individual depositors are insured up to $250,000. (This level of insurance is in effect until December 31, 2009). The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) will help you determine whether your bank is federally insured and the exact amount of your deposit insurance. If you do business with a credit union, you may contact the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) for the same information.

Sales in a Click email marketing

NEW: Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan

On Tuesday, February 10th, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner outlined a comprehensive plan to restore stability to our financial system. In the address, Secretary Geithner discussed the Obama Administration’s strategy to strengthen our economy by getting credit flowing again to families and businesses, while imposing new measures and conditions to strengthen accountability, oversight and transparency in how taxpayer dollars are spent. And Secretary Geithner explained how the financial stability plan will be critical in supporting an effective and lasting economic recovery.

You can get information about the President's Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan at The $75 billion Stability Plan is a federal program to prevent mortgage foreclosures. But, beware! There are organizations offering consumers home loan counseling or help getting a Stability Plan loan for a fee, usually paid in advance. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and HOPE NOW offer free and safe counseling services and can help you apply for assistance under the Stability Plan.

For more information, please visit

Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan Executive Summary PDF Icon

Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan Fact Sheet PDF Icon

Helping Homeowners Under the Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan: Three Cases PDF Icon

Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan Questions and Answers PDF Icon